You are here: Home Forum Use Element numbering for .dat file - Version 9.4

Element numbering for .dat file - Version 9.4

Up to Use

Element numbering for .dat file - Version 9.4

Posted by Chen SONG at April 08. 2020

Re: Element numbering for .dat file - Version 9.4

Sorry for the first post, I could not enter any text. So my problem is:

I rely on the element numbering from .dat file when I export meshes, which means the element numbering in the global mesh and the numbering in the sub-meshes are consistent. I realize that in Version 9.4 is not the case anymore. It is a bug or new design?

Thank you your answers and regards

Posted by SMESH expert at April 08. 2020
Hello
Could you explain your issue by an example? It's not clear for me.
Best regards
Edward

Hi Edward,

thanks for your quick answer, so my problem is, imaging I generate a mesh in Mesh module, and this mesh contains one group (edges, face, etc.).

When I export the mesh and its groups to .dat format, for example: Mesh_1.dat and Group_1.dat.

In the old version, for the same element, its number in Group_1.dat is the same as in Mesh_1.dat.

But in version 9.4, the number of a same element in Group_1.dat and Mesh_1.dat is not the same anymore.

This is a new change in 9.4?

I hope I explained well my problem, thanks for your help.
Chen

Dear Chen,

Someone on this forum complained that numeration at export can be not continuous from 1 till nbOfElements and can have holes.  We addressed that complain in 9.4.

To take into account your note, I will add an option to switch off that new behavior. Unfortunately now it is too late to include this modification into v9.5.

Best regards

Edward

Consider using another format, which directly support groups, UNV for example.

Dear Edward,

thanks a lot for your kind reply. According to your answer, I hope this feature can be back very soon.

Best regards
Chen

Posted by Chen SONG at December 03. 2020

Dear Edward,

I just noticed there is a new Version from SALOME 9.6. But I did not find the option to switch this option off. Could you please tell where can I find the option you mentioned?

Thank you very much, best regards

Chen

Posted by SMESH expert at December 03. 2020

Sorry, Chen! I had no chance to implement this feature. Maybe in the next release.

Best regards

Edward

Posted by Chen SONG at December 03. 2020

Previously SMESH expert wrote:

Sorry, Chen! I had no chance to implement this feature. Maybe in the next release.

Best regards

Edward

Hi Edward,

Thanks for your kind reply. Hopefully you will add this feature for the next verstion.

Regards, Chen

Posted by Adolfo Aguilar at June 11. 2021

Previously Chen SONG wrote:

Previously SMESH expert wrote:

Best regards

Edward

Hi Edward,

Thanks for your kind reply. Hopefully you will add this feature for the next verstion.

Regards, Chen

Please Fix this issue ASAP, it is nonsense to rename nodes and elements from 1 to maxElements when exporting DAT only because someone complained about having holes in the mesh.

If someone has holes in the mesh they should rename all nodes and elements ID's and this will close the gaps and then export to DAT file and not to export the DAT renumbering the node/elements.

Some people (I include myself) use holes in the mesh because it is very useful to have different node/element numbering for certain elements in order to distinguish where the node/element belong to, for example 4xxxxxxx on shaft, 7xxxxxx on gears and so on.

When I tried to export the Mesh using version 9.6 I got the disgusting surprise that the export renames my nodes/elements.

Renaming the model while exporting is a Rookie way of doing things.

Please fix at the next version, I am working for mathematical modeling for more than 25 years and this is the first time I saw such a bad thing to rename the mesh while exporting without the user control.

Thank you