Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Archlinux install

Archlinux install

Up to Install & build

Archlinux install

Posted by yann maisonneuve at November 24. 2014

Hello,

I try to install Salome on archlinux using the universal binary. It doesnt work for the moment, this is the output of the install:

[yann@yann_machine Downloads]$ ./Salome-V7_4_0-LGPL-x86_64.run

=======================================

Self Extracting SALOME V7_4_0 Installer

Enter the Salome install directory [default=/home/yann/salome] : 

The directory /home/yann/salome/Salome-V7_4_0-LGPL-x86_64 already exists, install anyway ? [y/N] y

Salome is in English, do you want to be in French ? [y/N] : n

Installation of SALOME V7_4_0 in /home/yann/salome/Salome-V7_4_0-LGPL-x86_64 ...

Verifying archive integrity...

All good.

Done                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Creating SALOME application in /home/yann/salome/appli_V7_4_0 ...

sed: impossible de lire /.config_appli_template.xml: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

Installing the CatalogResources file in /home/yann/salome/appli_V7_4_0/CatalogResources.xml

cp: impossible d'évaluer « /.config/CatalogResources.xml.default »: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

cp: impossible d'évaluer « /.config/CatalogResources.xml.default »: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

./create_appli_V7_4_0.sh: ligne 194: salome_prerequisites.sh: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

./create_appli_V7_4_0.sh: ligne 195: salome_modules.sh: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

Missing repertory: /opt/dassault-systemes/DraftSight/bin

./create_appli_V7_4_0.sh: ligne 223: ./salome_post_install.py: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

The SALOME application was successfully created.

To run the application:

$ /home/yann/salome/appli_V7_4_0/salome

When I try to run the binary , it doesn't exist:

[yann@yann_machine Downloads]$ /home/yann/salome/appli_V7_4_0/salome

bash: /home/yann/salome/appli_V7_4_0/salome: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

Do i need to install Drafsight in /opt ?

Does someone have Salome working on arch ?

Thanks for your answers

Re: Archlinux install

Posted by jeanpierreaubry at December 10. 2014

hello

it looks like the /home/yann/salome was not empty

and/or was set with strange permissions

i suggest you delete it and try again

regarding DraftSight 

you surely do not need to install it anywhere to have a running installation of Salome

this may come from the strange directory i noted above

jean pierre aubry

Posted by Andrew Lowe at January 06. 2015

I have the same problem as Yann.

0) Platform is amd64, and an up to date Gentoo installation.

1) Downloaded the universal installer - it sits in the ~/Downloads dir. I changed its permissions to 744

2) ~ has permissions:

drwxr-xr-x 46 agl    agl    69632 Jan  6 11:30 agl

3) Under ~, there is NO salome dir

4) I run the universal binary from ~

~/Downloads/Salome-V7_4_0-LGPL-x86_64.run

5) It goes through the install process and I accept the defaults.

6) The installation runs, says a few things can't be found, sed, salome_prerequisites.xml etc and then says the install was successful and how to run the app:

agl@bluey ~ $ ~/Downloads/Salome-V7_4_0-LGPL-x86_64.run

Self Extracting SALOME V7_4_0 Installer

Enter the Salome install directory [default=/home/agl/salome] :
Salome is in English, do you want to be in French ? [y/N] :
Installation of SALOME V7_4_0 in /home/agl/salome/Salome-V7_4_0-LGPL-x86_64 ...
All good.
Done                                                                                                                                                                                             
Creating SALOME application in /home/agl/salome/appli_V7_4_0 ...
sed: can't read /.config_appli_template.xml: No such file or directory
Installing the CatalogResources file in /home/agl/salome/appli_V7_4_0/CatalogResources.xml
cp: cannot stat ‘/.config/CatalogResources.xml.default’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/.config/CatalogResources.xml.default’: No such file or directory
./create_appli_V7_4_0.sh: line 194: salome_prerequisites.sh: No such file or directory
./create_appli_V7_4_0.sh: line 195: salome_modules.sh: No such file or directory
Missing repertory: /usr/lib64/paraview-4.2/site-packages
./create_appli_V7_4_0.sh: line 223: ./salome_post_install.py: No such file or directory
To run the application:
$ /home/agl/salome/appli_V7_4_0/salome

agl@bluey ~ $ /home/agl/salome/appli_V7_4_0/salome
bash: /home/agl/salome/appli_V7_4_0/salome: No such file or directory
agl@bluey ~ $ cd salome/
agl@bluey ~/salome $ cd appli_V7_4_0/
agl@bluey ~/salome/appli_V7_4_0 $ ls
appli_V7_4_0.log  config_appli.xml
agl@bluey ~/salome/appli_V7_4_0 $ 

7) Upon trying to run the app as told to in the last line of the installers instructions, nothing happens. There are two files in there, the log and xml files.

8) The permissions on the created salome dir are as follows:

drwxr-xr-x  4 agl    agl           24 Jan  6 11:52 salome

9) All of the above is done as the user agl and I have done the install multiple times.

Any ideas as to what is going wrong?

Regards,

Andrew

p.s. Get a better edit box - this thing I'm typing into is rubbish. There is no ability to indent/group code etc.

Posted by jeanpierreaubry at January 06. 2015

hello Andrew

i tried to run Salome-V7_4_0-LGPL-x86_64.run in a fresh Debian install with all defaults

and i do have as terminal output

Creating SALOME application in /home/***/salome/appli_V7_4_0 ...

To run the application:

no mention of 

....: No such file or directory

the trouble is probably there, some useful files are not present, but where? mystery!

however the mention

seems a bit pretentious

p.s. i agree with you

p.s. Get a better edit box - this thing I'm typing into is rubbish. There is no ability to indent/group code etc.

although i prepare the text in a text editor and paste it in

jean pierre aubry

Posted by Andrew Lowe at January 07. 2015

I've deleted the existing salome dir again and this time tried to install the app when I've been in the same dir as the installer - last time I tried from my home dir and pathed to the installer. I still get the same problem. I thought "sed"  might be missing, but no, it's there.

I've just tried copying the installer into my home dir and tried again, but still with the same results.

Just what is this magical installer anyway? Is it some sort of script or archive? Can I somehow list the contents to make sure the listed as missing files are actually there? Can I manually extract the contents of this magical file? Has anyone at "Salome Central" actually checked the installer to ensure that the files that I'm being told are missing are actually there or have they actually tried the installer?

The thing that concerns me is that the errors are things such as:

sed: can't read /.config_appli_

and

all three of which refer to a file that would be in the root directory of the file system, not in the current dir or the users home dir. Can someone from "Salome Incorporated" please answer these questions. I'm trying to use Salome for my PhD research and this is holding me back quite severely.

Regards,

Andrew

p.s. I've just tried copying the installer into the root dir, /, and trying the install from there, both as a user and root and once again, it fails.

Posted by jeanpierreaubry at January 07. 2015

we have reach a point where i am afraid i cannot help you anymore

to summarize

i can install the Universal Binaries on a SuSE 13.1 and a Debain 7 machine

and i can do the install in $HOME or in a sub dir of /opt (with regular user permission)

if i remember well, a few years ago, i installed a Mandriva version on a SuSE machine

i never had the guts to compile Salome from source despite a few attempts

i contribute to this forum for many years ago

i have hardly ever seen somebody from the Salome team explaining these troubles about installation

never mind how it works!

your troubles seem to be distribution related 

i do not know Gentoo which is supposed to be quite different

what i suggest

1- try some of the officially supported Linux platforms, Debian, Mandriva ...

2- if it does not work try to compile

3- last option change the distribution or use a VM

Posted by jeanpierreaubry at January 08. 2015

hello Andrew

a solution to your problem might be using Salome-Meca available here

http://www.code-aster.org/V2/spip.php?article303

Salome-Meca is a bundle of Salome and Code_Aster

it is much easier to install than the native Salome

and you have a full working Salome with in addition a version of Code_Aster

Posted by Jim Lanzi at January 20. 2015
I have been attempting to install Salome using the Universal Binary in Archlinux as well. The AUR packages, while great, do not have the NETGEN plugins, which are needed for many of the OpenFoam tutorials.

I faced the same issues as  yann maisonneuv. I was able to get a little further...

After the initial failure, I modified the ~/salome/Salome-V7_4_0-LGPL-x86_64/create_appli_V7_4_0.sh script, making sure that python2 is called instead of the stock Archlinux python (which is python 3). This required editing the file at lines 112, 114, and 223. At lines 112 and 114, change the python to python2. At line 223, insert a python2 before the script:

python2 salome_post_install.py

After defining the ROOT_SALOME environment variable in the command line:

$export ROOT_SALOME=="/home/jim/salome/Salome-V7_4_0-LGPL-x86_64"

I was able to successfully run the create_appli script:

$./create_appli_V7_4_0.sh

Which created the necessary files in the ~/salome/appli/V7_4_0 folder.

It is here where the story ends for me. When I attempt to run the file:

$~/salome/appli/V7_4_0/salome

It fails immediately. When I try to run it under python2 (it is a python script after all):

$python2 ~/salome/appli/V7_4_0/salome

It gets quite a bit further, but still fails:

runSalome running on jim-laptop
Searching for a free port for naming service: 2810 2811 2812 2813 - OK
Searching Naming Service + found in 0.1 seconds 
Searching /Kernel/Session in Naming Service +[libprotobuf FATAL google/protobuf/stubs/common.cc:72] This program was compiled against version 2.3.0 of the Protocol Buffer runtime library, which is not compatible with the installed version (2.6.1).  Contact the program author for an update.  If you compiled the program yourself, make sure that your headers are from the same version of Protocol Buffers as your link-time library.  (Version verification failed in "/scratch/palmco/salome/prerequisites/build/Paraview-410p5-py273-hd1810-gr2280-dox1831-xml2290-qt484-cm28102-gl2ps138/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkPVMessage.pb.cc".)
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'google::protobuf::FatalException'
  what():  This program was compiled against version 2.3.0 of the Protocol Buffer runtime library, which is not compatible with the installed version (2.6.1).  Contact the program author for an update.  If you compiled the program yourself, make sure that your headers are from the same version of Protocol Buffers as your link-time library.  (Version verification failed in "/scratch/palmco/salome/prerequisites/build/Paraview-410p5-py273-hd1810-gr2280-dox1831-xml2290-qt484-cm28102-gl2ps138/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkPVMessage.pb.cc".)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/jim/salome/appli/V7_4_0/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 677, in useSalome
    clt = startSalome(args, modules_list, modules_root_dir)
  File "/home/jim/salome/appli/V7_4_0/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 601, in startSalome
    session=clt.waitNSPID("/Kernel/Session",mySessionServ.PID,SALOME.Session)
  File "/home/jim/salome/Salome-V7_4_0-LGPL-x86_64/modules/KERNEL_V7_4_0/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 174, in waitNSPID
    raise RuntimeError, "Process %d for %s not found" % (thePID,theName)
RuntimeError: Process 4918 for /Kernel/Session not found

The binary supplied by salome-platform.org seems to be compiled against an older version of a "Protocol Buffer" library. Bottom line: It appears as if the Archlinux infrastructure (Python 3 and bleeding edge libraries) are not very compatible with the current salome build.

At the moment I am stuck.

Posted by Michele Mocciola at March 13. 2015

On AUR you can find an updated version of NETGENPLUGIN!

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/salome-netgenplugin

Happy modeling!

Posted by Marco Flores at November 06. 2015

You need python2.7

For gentoo users:

#eselect python list

[1]   python2.7 *
  [2]   python3.4

With python3.4 fails,

Posted by Matthias Schmidt at November 27. 2015

My workaround to install and run salome760 on archlinux using the universal binary.
My installation folder: Salome-760.
Installation with terminal, first export variables, than start the installation:

$ export SALOMEDIR="/home/<user>/Salome-760/Salome-V7_6_0-x86_64"
$ export ROOT_SALOME="/home/<user>/Salome-760/Salome-V7_6_0-x86_64
$ export DEFAULTAPPLIDIR="/home/<user>/Salome-760/appli_V7_6_0"

$ /home/<user>/./Salome-V7_6_0-LGPL-x86_64.run -v -t /home/<user>/Salome-760 -l en

# one way to start salome, python3 fail:

$ python2.7 /home/<user>/Salome-760/appli_V7_6_0/salome

# another way to start with modified file: /home/<user>/Salome-760/appli_V7_6_0/runAppli

-- export APPLI=`${APPLI_HOME}/getAppliPath.py`
    ++ # export APPLI=`${APPLI_HOME}/getAppliPath.py`
    ++ export APPLI="/Salome-760/appli_V7_6_0"

$ /home/<user>/Salome-760/appli_V7_6_0/runAppli

Posted by Pitt Goetze at December 07. 2015

Hi,

I tried to install Universal binaries for Linux on a Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS. Here is the terminal output:

###

<user>@YourPC:~/Salome$ ./Salome-V7_6_0-LGPL-x86_64.run

Self Extracting Salome V7_6_0 Installer

Enter the Salome install directory [default=/home/<user>/salome] :
The directory /home/<user>/salome/Salome-V7_6_0-x86_64 already exists, install anyway ? [y/N] y
Salome is in English, do you want to be in French ? [y/N] : N
Installation of Salome V7_6_0 in /home/<user>/salome/Salome-V7_6_0-x86_64 ...
All good.
Done                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
./create_appli_V7_6_0.sh: line 103: /salome_prerequisites.sh: No such file or directory
./create_appli_V7_6_0.sh: line 104: /salome_modules.sh: No such file or directory
Creating Salome application in /home/<user>/salome/appli_V7_6_0 ...
sed: can't read /.config_appli_template.xml: No such file or directory
Installing the CatalogResources file in /home/<user>/salome/appli_V7_6_0/CatalogResources.xml
grep: salome_context.cfg: No such file or directory
Salome post-installation ...
Missing repertory: /opt/ThirdParty-2.4.0/platforms/linux64Gcc/gperftools-svn/lib
Missing repertory: /opt/ThirdParty-2.4.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib/openmpi-system
Missing repertory: /home/<user>/OpenFOAM/<user>-2.4.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib
Missing repertory: /opt/site/2.4.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib
Missing repertory: /opt/ThirdParty-2.4.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/lib
Missing repertory: /opt/ThirdParty-2.4.0/platforms/linux64Gcc/gperftools-svn/bin
Missing repertory: /home/<user>/OpenFOAM/<user>-2.4.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin
Missing repertory: /opt/site/2.4.0/platforms/linux64GccDPOpt/bin
./create_appli_V7_6_0.sh: line 285: ./salome_post_install.py: No such file or directory
./create_appli_V7_6_0.sh: line 288: ./salome_hpc_visu_porthos.py: No such file or directory
The Salome application was successfully created.
To run the application:
$ /home/<user>/salome/appli_V7_6_0/salome

##

Despite the two lines after the installation where /salome_prerequisites.sh & salome_modules.sh are missing it looks to me the same what Andrew experienced, just on a Ubuntu.

the ./runAppli is not existing in:

##

<user>@YourPC:~/salome/appli_V7_6_0$ ls
appli_V7_6_0.log  config_appli.xml

##

but in:

<user>@YourPC:/home/goetze2/salome/Salome-V7_6_0-x86_64/modules/KERNEL_V7_6_0/bin/salome/appliskel#

running ./salome here leads to:

##

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./salome", line 71, in <module>
    main(args)
  File "./salome", line 30, in main
    initialize(currentPath, launcherFile)
  File "/home/goetze2/salome/Salome-V7_6_0-x86_64/modules/KERNEL_V7_6_0/bin/salome/appliskel/salome_starter.py", line 53, in initialize
    appliPath = __detectAppliPath(launcherPath, launcherFile)
  File "/home/goetze2/salome/Salome-V7_6_0-x86_64/modules/KERNEL_V7_6_0/bin/salome/appliskel/salome_starter.py", line 38, in __detectAppliPath
    currentPath = __detectAppliPath(fromPath[:-len(pattern)], launcherFile)
  File "/home/goetze2/salome/Salome-V7_6_0-x86_64/modules/KERNEL_V7_6_0/bin/salome/appliskel/salome_starter.py", line 43, in __detectAppliPath
    link_target = os.readlink(os.path.join(fromPath,launcherFile)) # LINUX ONLY
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/goetze2/salome/Salome-V7_6_0-x86_64/modules/KERNEL_V7_6_0/salome'
##

or ./runAppli to:

#

./runAppli: line 62: /bin/salome/envSalome.py: No such file or directory
##

I know that I'm mixing up the two apparently completely ways for installing salome 7.4 and 7.6, but I tried both separately doing exactly what

http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_9/542883894

is saying- the errors I get after installation are the same. So could anyone by so nice and explain its workaround a little bit more in detail as I'm not sure what is really working..

Thanks a lot

Posted by yann maisonneuve at August 18. 2018

Hello,

Thanks matthias i finally manage to install Salome-meca2018 on archlinux, i'll try to descibe my workaround:

- first problem the python3 by default in arch , you can force it to python2 just for the session:

$ sudo ln -sf python2 python

then check it worked (it should return something like that : lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     7 18 août  19:19 python -> python2)

$ ls -lah | grep python

- Second problem (matthias workaround) : these directories path, for example i want to install salome_meca in the directory : /home/<user>/salome_meca/ 

$ export SALOMEDIR="/home/<user>/salome_meca/V2018"
        $ export ROOT_SALOME="
/home/<user>/salome_meca/V2018"
        $ export DEFAULTAPPLIDIR="
/home/<user>/salome_meca/V2018"

Then run the install script:

$ sh salome_meca-2018-LGPL-2.run

- Third problem the app is not launching something wrong with the glibc version (see here : http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_9/322811199 )

go to  /home/<user>/salome_meca/V2018/prerequisites/debianForSalome/lib

only keep those library (backup the others)

libgfortran.so

libgfortran.so.3

libicudata.so.52

libicui18n.so.52

libicuuc.so.52

libpng12.so.0

open /home/<user>/salome_meca/V2018/salome_prerequisites.sh and put # before the line :

export DEBIANFORSALOME=${PREREQUISITES_ROOT_DIR}/debianForSalome

then the salome_meca is launching

Sorry i made a mistake on the line :

$ export DEFAULTAPPLIDIR="/home/<user>/salome_meca/V2018"

sould be :

$ export DEFAULTAPPLIDIR="/home/<user>/salome_meca/appli_V2018"

and this is the library needed in  /home/<user>/salome_meca/V2018/prerequisites/debianForSalome/lib otherwise asterstudy is not launching

libgfortran.so

libgfortran.so.3

libgfortran.so.3.0.0

libicudata.so.52

libicui18n.so.52

libicuuc.so.52

libopenblas.so

libopenblas.so.0

libopenblasp-r0.2.12.so

libpng12.so.0