Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Meshing Algorithms 8.5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04

Meshing Algorithms 8.5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04

Up to Install & build

Meshing Algorithms 8.5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04

Posted by Gregor Klemencic at August 16. 2018

Hi there!

I am a new user to Salome and I installed the 8.5.0 universal binary for Linux on my Ubuntu 18.04 working station (like recommended in the forum here).

Generally it seems to work. The strange thing (?) is that when I go to the mesh application and want to choose from the meshing algorithms it seems that there are missing some algorithms which are used in tutorials, for example the netgen algorithm. Or for example I don't have the "3D: Automatic Tetrahedralization" option in the "assign a set of  hypotheses menu"...

So, is there something "missing" in my installation ?

Thank you and best regards

Re: Meshing Algorithms 8.5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04

Posted by humberto medina at August 16. 2018

Hi Gregor,

I am experiencing exactly the same issue. The netgen algorithm is missing from the GUI. I also tried to use the algorithm using some existing scripts and no luck. I am also using Ubuntu 18.04 and tested the functionality using the universal binaries package. I am now in the process of downloading the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS version to see if this is an issue related to the "universal binaries" version. 

As a side note, I have noticed that python scripts that used to work in 8.4 need some changes in 8.5. Particularly, for operations that rely on edge selection (e.g. chamfer). The numerical labels for the edges need to be revisited and updated for the scripts to work in 8.5. Reasonably straight forward to correct/change for simple(ish) geometries.

Thanks,

Humberto

Posted by Gregor Klemencic at August 16. 2018

Hi Humberto!

Thx for your reply, Hope we find a solution for this problem... Did it work with the Ubuntu 16.04 version?

BR

Gregor

Posted by humberto medina at August 17. 2018

Hi Gregor,

Unfortunately it didn't work. The versions of the libicu library are not the same for Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04. I may have to resort to compile from sources (which I was hoping to avoid for time sake - despite the potential performance benefits ;) ).

Kind regards,

Humberto

Previously Gregor Klemencic wrote:

Hi Humberto!

Thx for your reply, Hope we find a solution for this problem... Did it work with the Ubuntu 16.04 version?

BR

Gregor

Posted by Gregor Klemencic at August 20. 2018

Hi Humberto!

Thx for your feedback. Unfortunately I am not really sure what I will do now :)

Will there be an official Ubuntu 18.04 binary in the near future?

Living without the whole package of meshing algorithms is not a solution for me on the long run...

BR

Gregor

Posted by humberto medina at August 20. 2018

Hi Gregor,

I was also hoping to use the new version but until the meshing algorithms can be accessed I guess I will revert back to 8.4 for now. I also do hope that a version for UB18.04 becomes available. 

All the best,

Humberto

Posted by Joni-Pekka Kurronen at September 01. 2018

hi,

I have mainly used netgen separetly!

salome - > netgen -> elmerfem !!!

vólá!

cordialiments,

joni

Posted by Joni-Pekka Kurronen at September 01. 2018

hi,

I have mainly used netgen separetly!

salome - > netgen -> elmerfem !!!

vólá!

cordialiments,

joni

Posted by Gregor Simic at November 07. 2018

Hello all,

I am a bit late but, the universal binaries work fine on Debian 9.5, no meshing algorithm is missing.  If there is truly a problem with the libraries, a warning or error message should be printed when running SALOME.

Regards,

Gregor Simič