Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Other... (new forum, problems, etc.) 2D mesh for OpenFoam problem

2D mesh for OpenFoam problem

Up to Other... (new forum, problems, etc.)

2D mesh for OpenFoam problem

Posted by Admir Jonuz at April 18. 2018

Hi

I am meshing a imported 2D geometry of a nozzle, where I use the "traditional" approach (mesh: 3D extrusion + 2D quadrangle mapping +1D wire discretisation nb. seg 15, sub-meshes: 2D mesh source face i.e. the front face, 2D projection to the destination face i.e. back face, wire disc in the third direction with nb. seg 1) similar to the following approach https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XugdrYyBSg - however, when trying to compute the the mesh, i get the following message in my terminal window "Quadrangle_2D failed on sub-mesh i.e. my front face creating inverted elements".

What causes this error?

I have attached a step file of the imported geometry, in case the geometry can have an impact on this error.

Best regards!

Attachments

Re: 2D mesh for OpenFoam problem

Posted by Saint Michael at April 18. 2018

Hi

The problem here is that Quadrangle Mapping can't create a correct mesh on the front face by definition. If you need a structured mesh, you can subdivide your geometry into blocks. See the attached study.

St.Michael

Attachments

Re: 2D mesh for OpenFoam problem

Posted by Saint Michael at April 18. 2018

If quad-dominant mesh is acceptable, then you can simply mesh your front face useing NETGEN with "Allow quadrangles" activated, instead of Quadrangle Mapping.

St.Michael

Quick reply
URLs will be automatically hyperlinked. Basic HTML tags are OK.