Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Other... (new forum, problems, etc.) SALOME version 8.4.0 is released!

SALOME version 8.4.0 is released!

Up to Other... (new forum, problems, etc.)

SALOME version 8.4.0 is released!

Posted by Site Administrator at February 19. 2018

Dear SALOME users,

CEA/DEN, EDF R&D and OPEN CASCADE are pleased to announce SALOME version 8.4.0 which has been internally released in December 2017.

It is a public release that contains results of planned improvements and bug fixes against SALOME version 8.3.0 released in September 2017.

Please visit news page (http://www.salome-platform.org/news) for more details or proceed to the download page (http://www.salome-platform.org/downloads) to get this release.

Regards,

SALOME site administrator.

Re: SALOME version 8.4.0 is released!

Posted by AJP at February 20. 2018

Hi,

Could I ask when you will make the universal binaries available for the 8.4.0 release.  The download page refers to them, but there is no link.  I have found the universal binary is the only one that works on opensuse leap.

Thanks

Posted by Site Administrator at February 20. 2018

Dear  Andrew,

Download link for SALOME-8.4.0 universal binaries is now available at download page.

Regards,

SALOME site administrator.

Posted by AJP at February 22. 2018

Hi,

Can I report several issues with the universal binary for linux 8.4.0. 

--First, right mouse click no longer provides a context menu, it did in 8.3.0.  For example in mesh mode, you can no longer right click on the mesh.

--Secondly, a very simple mesh produced entirely from scratch in 8.4 and outputted to cgns, fails cgnscheck which comes with the cgns library when you compile it.  I have compiled mine against hdf5/1.8.20. cgnslist (and cgnsview) from the same compiled library works however.  I am using cgns version 3.3.1, the same cgns version in 8.4.  Is it deliberate that the cgns files outputted no longer confirm to the cgns format in the sense that they fail cgnscheck from the same version? 

Also h5dump, h5ls, and h5diff which have always been able to inspect a cgns file (by design) no longer work either.  Suggestion is that the content does not conform to the library specs...

### example cgnslist

cgnslist demo.cgns
ADF MotherNode
  +-CGNSLibraryVersion
  +-Mesh_1
    +-SMESH_Mesh
      +-ZoneType
      +-GridCoordinates
      | +-CoordinateX
      | +-CoordinateY
      | +-CoordinateZ
      +-BAR_2 1 - 14
      | +-ElementRange
      | +-ElementConnectivity
      +-TRI_3 15 - 20
      | +-ElementRange
      | +-ElementConnectivity
      +-QUAD_4 21 - 30
      | +-ElementRange
      | +-ElementConnectivity
      +-ZoneBC
        +-Group_3
        | +-PointList
        | +-GridLocation
        +-Group_2
        | +-PointList
        | +-GridLocation
        +-Group_4
          +-PointList

## example of cgnscheck

cgnscheck demo.cgns
reading CGNS file demo.cgns
CGNSlib ERROR:cg_open:cgio_open_file:not a HDF5 file - required for parallel

demo file is attached.

Any help or comments really appreciated.

Andy

Attachments

Posted by AJP at February 22. 2018

I was playing further, if it helps, the following is strange but produces a file that can be opened by cgnscheck (all versions used are from the same compilation of the 3.3.1 cgns with hdf5 1.8.20 and are also the same as those used above):

### first run cgnscheck to show it fails

-> cgnscheck demo.cgns
reading CGNS file demo.cgns
CGNSlib ERROR:cg_open:cgio_open_file:not a HDF5 file - required for parallel

### second run cgnsconvert

-> cgnsconvert -hf demo.cgns demo1.cgns
converting ADF file demo.cgns to HDF5 file demo1.cgns
ADF  input  file size  = 16384 bytes
HDF5 output file size  = 21976 bytes
conversion time = 0 secs

### rerun cgnscheck on new file

-> cgnscheck demo1.cgns
reading CGNS file demo1.cgns

reading base "Mesh_1"
reading zone "SMESH_Mesh"
  reading element set "BAR_2 1 - 14"
  reading element set "TRI_3 15 - 20"
  reading element set "QUAD_4 21 - 30"

checking base "Mesh_1"

checking zone "SMESH_Mesh"
  checking coordinates "GridCoordinates"
    checking coordinate "CoordinateX"
WARNING:dataclass not given
    checking coordinate "CoordinateY"
    checking coordinate "CoordinateZ"
WARNING:coordinate range is 0
  checking elements
  checking element set "BAR_2 1 - 14"
  checking element set "TRI_3 15 - 20"
  checking element set "QUAD_4 21 - 30"
  checking boundary conditions
  checking BC "Group_3"
    checking BC interface
  checking BC "Group_2"
    checking BC interface
  checking BC "Group_4"
    checking BC interface

checking complete
4 warnings (4 shown)

### now run cgnsdiff

-> cgnsdiff demo.cgns demo1.cgns
/ <> / : labels differ

### h5ls, h5dump now work on new file demo1

Does this help?

Posted by AJP at February 26. 2018

Hi,

Could I ask whether these two bugs as noted above are registered against 8.4? Is there anything more I can do to help get them resolved from my end?

Thanks,

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at February 26. 2018

Hello Andy,

Problem with CGNS export is strange in fact - as far as I can see the resulting CGNS file demo.cgns is a ADF file, while it should be HDF5 one. To check why this happened, can you please attach an SALOME study (HDF) which contains the mesh (which one?) you export to CGNS? This should help us to analyze the problem.

Regards,
Vadim.

Posted by AJP at February 26. 2018

Hi Vadim,

Thanks for the other email.  Salome 8.4.0 gzipped study file is attached.

I believe you can use the attached to reproduce the problems noted.  I am outputting the cgns file to Mesh_1.cgns and ticking "group element types".  cgnslist reports content in the file, cgnscheck fails with an hdf5 error as per the above.  Again, running "cgnsconvert -hf Mesh_1.cgns Mesh_2.cgns"  then allows Mesh_2.cgns to go through cgnscheck also.  When you run cgnsdiff Mesh_1.cgns Mesh_2.cgns the result is:

"/ <> / : labels differ".  All my vesions of cgns and hdf5 are listed above.

Separately, not being able to right click in either geom or mesh for a context menu next to the mouse pointer is also something to be resolved.  Is that being looked at too?

Thanks,

Andy

Previously Vadim SANDLER wrote:

Hello Andy,

Problem with CGNS export is strange in fact - as far as I can see the resulting CGNS file demo.cgns is a ADF file, while it should be HDF5 one. To check why this happened, can you please attach an SALOME study (HDF) which contains the mesh (which one?) you export to CGNS? This should help us to analyze the problem.

Regards,
Vadim.

Attachments

Posted by humberto medina at March 19. 2018

Hi,

I can confirm I have the same issue with the right click (context menu) not working. I have tried both the universal binaries and the Ubuntu 16.04 binaries and the issue persists on both.

Regards,

Humberto

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at April 26. 2018

Dear AJP and Humberto,

I reproduce the error of right-click not making the contextual menu appearing for GEOM and SMESH objects in the object browser and in the 3D view (OCC and VTK) on KDE5 (plasma) and Debian 9 (stretch) and sid. Can you confirm your operating system and desktop environment?

It seems it is related to compositor effects. In System settings, Display and monitor, Compositor, untick "Enable compositor on startup" as in attached screenshot This should make the right-click work again in Salome. Can you confirm?

Regards,

Christophe

Attachments

Posted by humberto medina at June 11. 2018

Hi Christophe,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Well done! That was it. I can confirm that I am using KDE and that unticking the "Enable compositor on startup" works!

Merci,

Humberto

Previously Christophe Bourcier wrote:

Dear AJP and Humberto,

I reproduce the error of right-click not making the contextual menu appearing for GEOM and SMESH objects in the object browser and in the 3D view (OCC and VTK) on KDE5 (plasma) and Debian 9 (stretch) and sid. Can you confirm your operating system and desktop environment?

It seems it is related to compositor effects. In System settings, Display and monitor, Compositor, untick "Enable compositor on startup" as in attached screenshot This should make the right-click work again in Salome. Can you confirm?

Regards,

Christophe

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at June 11. 2018

Thank you for the feedback. In the soon to come version 8.5.0, this issue will be solved, even with compositor enabled.

Christophe

Quick reply
URLs will be automatically hyperlinked. Basic HTML tags are OK.