Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Extension of the platform A Simple System based on Salome for Solving Electromagnetic Problem

A Simple System based on Salome for Solving Electromagnetic Problem

Up to Extension of the platform

A Simple System based on Salome for Solving Electromagnetic Problem

Posted by Rick Chen at January 28. 2017

Video Link:        

https://youtu.be/4B_gj7oIURY       

In the system boundary, materials and source are assigned to the geometrical model, after that a conformal mesh can be automatically generated in the background, the boundary, materials and source are also adopted to the mesh.

Still have some problems in post processing.

Re: A Simple System based on Salome for Solving Electromagnetic Problem

Posted by Leon at July 04. 2017

Nice work!

Are you interested in starting this work as an open source project? If so, I will try to contribute.

Previously Rick Chen wrote:

Video Link:        

In the system boundary, materials and source are assigned to the geometrical model, after that a conformal mesh can be automatically generated in the background, the boundary, materials and source are also adopted to the mesh.

Posted by Matthias Zenker at July 05. 2017
Hi,

which solver do you use?

Matthias

Posted by Rick Chen at July 17. 2017

Previously Matthias Zenker wrote:

Hi,

which solver do you use?

Matthias

The solver is developed by myself based on the discontinuous Galerkin time-domain method.

Geng Chen

Posted by Rick Chen at July 17. 2017

Previously Leon wrote:

Nice work!

Are you interested in starting this work as an open source project? If so, I will try to contribute.

Previously Rick Chen wrote:

Video Link:        

Thanks, I'll consider to share this work in the future.

Posted by Matthias Zenker at July 17. 2017
Just as a hint: there are Open Source solvers out there which you could use - there is not necessarily the need to reinvent the wheel... ;)

For example, Elmer (www.csc.fi/elmer) is rather powerful, also in electromagnetics, and there is even an interface module for Salomé under development.

Matthias

Posted by Rick Chen at July 18. 2017

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your suggestion. Current I only focus on  DGTD method, and it's hard to find an open source solver of electromagnetics which satisfies my needs. Usually thoes open source solvers are enough for academic, but for industrial usage they still need a lot of time to do the secondary development.

Rick

Posted by Matthias Zenker at July 18. 2017
Hi Rick,

I am not so deep in the FEM maths, so I cannot tell if Elmer works exactly the way you need. AFAIK Elmer is also used in the industry and can compete with commercial solvers like Comsol in quite some areas. And it's open source, so everyone is free to extend and optimize it. To find out if Elmer suits your needs, you could check in the description in the Solver Manual (http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics/elmer/doc/ElmerSolverManual.pdf), section 1.3.3, or directly with the developpers on the forum (www.elmerfem.org/forum).

Matthias

Posted by Matthias Zenker at July 18. 2017
Oh yes, I forgot to say that for postprocessing ParaView is the most powerful open source software.

But you certainly knew that already... ;)