Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum How to use Salome? Meshing limitations around 230x10^6 elements? Segmentation Fault / COMPERR_OCC_EXCEPTION

Meshing limitations around 230x10^6 elements? Segmentation Fault / COMPERR_OCC_EXCEPTION

Up to How to use Salome?

Meshing limitations around 230x10^6 elements? Segmentation Fault / COMPERR_OCC_EXCEPTION

Posted by BJ Dillon at October 16. 2015

Hello Everyone, 

I am investigating Salome's ability to create meshes containing very large number of elements. I seem to be hitting a wall around 229x10^6 elements. I am wondering what is preventing Salome from creating a larger mesh?

I am running the universal binary package (v7.6) on Debian 8 (x64) with 256GB of ram. At the crossing of around 230x10^6  elements having been meshed, salome throws an segmentation violation and crashes (full text below). 

To recreate the error message, create a Cube of 200x200x200mm size. Mesh the object using Hexahedron / Quadrangle / Wire Discretisation - Number of Segments: 614. This produces the seg fault. Any number less than 614 will finish the meshing operation to completion (i.e. 613 segments gives a mesh of 230,346,397 elements). 

Here is the text output from a crash:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1255859 setVerbose[13] start Verbose

1255860 <module>[4] start

1257094 triedreBase[21] start

th. 140536871524096 - Trace /scratch/palmco/salome/V7_6_0/modules/src/SMESH/src/SMESH/SMESH_subMesh.cxx [2035] : Hexa_3D failed on sub-shape #36 with error COMPERR_OCC_EXCEPTION "OSD_SIGSEGV: SIGSEGV 'segmentation violation' detected. Address 0"

*** Abort *** an exception was raised, but no catch was found.

... The exception is:SIGSEGV 'segmentation violation' detected. Address 0

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'omniORB::fatalException'

Terminating SALOME on port 2810...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Meshing limitations around 230x10^6 elements? Segmentation Fault / COMPERR_OCC_EXCEPTION

Posted by BJ Dillon at October 16. 2015

I should also mention that the 613x613x613 mesh uses around 25% of my physical memory. 

Re: Meshing limitations around 230x10^6 elements? Segmentation Fault / COMPERR_OCC_EXCEPTION

Posted by SMESH expert at October 23. 2015

Hello

Thank you for reporting this issue. I'll check it.

Best regards

Edward

Posted by BJ Dillon at November 03. 2015

Thanks Edward,

My initial thoughts focused on an int (or other non-64bit pointer type) being used to enumerate the mesh's points, faces, etc...  and going from 613^3 elements to 614^3 elements caused that pointer to "++;" beyond a its max value. 

Let me know if you'd like access to the machine. I'm sure we can set something up if needed.

-Brandon 

Posted by SMESH expert at November 05. 2015

Hello Brandon

Thank you for your assistance.

Can you run a debugger on that machine? If yes, I would like to send you some SALOME libraries built in debug mode, so that we could see where the bug is located.

Best regards

Edward

Posted by BJ Dillon at November 08. 2015

Hello Edward,

Sorry for the delayed response. 

I have a little experience with both gdb and valgrind. Let me know how you'd like to forward the libraries and I can run the tests for you.

-Brandon 

Posted by SMESH expert at November 12. 2015

Hello Brandon

I got an idea: since 7.7.0 is about to be released, let's wait, so that you could check if this bug still exists in 7.7.0.

Best regards

Edward

Posted by BJ Dillon at December 18. 2015

Hello Edward,

Thanks for your help again so far with this issue. 

I saw that 7.7.1 was released a few days ago. I attempted the mesh described in the first post again. Sadly, salome is still unable to handle a mesh size larger than 613x613x613. 

614x1614x614 causes a seg fault....

--------------------------------

Start SALOME, elapsed time :  12.7 seconds

56019 setVerbose[13] start Verbose

56022 <module>[4] start

63847 triedreBase[21] start

th. 140362713442048 - Trace /local/adminuser/SALOME-7.7.1-sources/SOURCES/SMESH/src/SMESH/SMESH_subMesh.cxx [1945] : Hexa_3D failed on sub-shape #1 with error COMPERR_OCC_EXCEPTION "OSD_SIGSEGV: SIGSEGV 'segmentation violation' detected. Address 0"

*** Abort *** an exception was raised, but no catch was found.

... The exception is:SIGSEGV 'segmentation violation' detected. Address 0

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'omniORB::fatalException'

Terminating SALOME on port 2810...

--------------------------------

Posted by BJ Dillon at December 18. 2015

The git structure you all are using is a bit confusing for me. 

If there are any instructions for the download and building of salome from git sources, I'd be more than happy to work with you on a debug of the issue. 

Posted by SMESH expert at December 18. 2015

Hello Brandon

I'd prefer sending you some .so files built in debug mode than explaining how to build SALOME from sources.

Let's return to this issue in Jan 2016.

Best regards

Edward

Posted by BJ Dillon at December 19. 2015

Thanks, Edward. I'll wait to hear from you.

Posted by SMESH expert at February 16. 2016

Hello Brandon

I prepared the libraries and instructions to locate a reason of the bug. Could you send me your e-mail in a private message using the Forum, where to send the libraries.

Best regards

Edward

Posted by Saint Michael at May 12. 2016

Hello Brandon

The e-mail can't be used:

We are sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

This message was created automatically by mail system, don't reply.

<bdillon@vt.edu>: host inbound.smtp.vt.edu[198.82.183.88] said: 550 5.5.0 Mail
    Denied, contact your postmaster (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

Best regards

Edward

Posted by Luciano Tosini at December 09. 2016

Hello, I'm joining the subject because I have the same problem using MG-Tetra with the Enforced Meshes option. If you could send me some libraries in debug mode we could try to solve this issue.

Regards,