Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use HexaBlock Help

HexaBlock Help

Up to Use

HexaBlock Help

Posted by Susan Tully at June 03. 2013

Hello,

I am trying to use the hexaBlock module within Salome 7.2 but I am afraid I really dont understand what I am supposed to do from the help files/forum topics on here.

My understanding is that hexablock is designed to allow you to hex mesh your geometry without changing your geometry via associating your geometry with a nice block compound. Is that correct?

The help files talk about the steps required (when using the GUI) but do not show you how to implement them. When I open up the hexablock module I get the additional tabs on the left menu for Object Browser, Model, Groups and Mesh but they are empty and I cant seem to do anything with them. When I click on them the top menus (File, Edit, view etc) do not change either - as they seem to do in the help files.

I am obviously missing some vital step here. Could someone briefly talk me though say the process of hex meshing a cylinder. From the geometry creation to the meshing, what to press and when!

thanks in advance for the help

Susan

Re: HexaBlock Help

Posted by William Tougeron at June 05. 2013

Hello Susan,

Here are some python script examples. I don't remember from where I got them, so I will enclose them to the following posts.

To use them, copy the geometry files (.stp, .brep) in your home folder or change in the script their path.

Important note: these scripts seem to work only with the 6.6.0 version of Salome...

Good luck ! :)

Attachments

Attachments

Attachments

Posted by Susan Tully at June 05. 2013

Hi William,

Thanks for your reply :D Yes I found these examples from another forum post here and had a quick look at them prior to upgrading to 7.2. And as you say, when I tried to look at them in v7.2 I just got an error message!

I am still having major issues getting hexablock to work for me and am now only trying in my spare time, if at all, to understand it. If I ever figure it out I will definitely post a home-made (idiot proof) tutorial here since I feel that is what is needed.

cheers

Susan

Posted by Susan Tully at June 11. 2013

Hello,

I am still struggling to understand how to make hexablock work. Does anyone who understands it have a few minutes free to even write a step by step guide to using hexablock to hex mesh a cylinder?

I know how to do this the old way and am failing miserably at trying to use hexablock to do it. I am sorry to say that I find the help documents on hexablock very unhelpful :(

thanks in advance

Susan.

Posted by Dirk Schweitzer at June 13. 2013

Hello,

for me the python script examples provided above don't work either in Salome 6.6. Upon loading the hexablock module (import hexablock) I always receive the error which has already been reported here:

http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_9/610003125#671244887

Are there different versions of Salome 6.6.0? I installed mine with the Salome-Meca 2013.1 universal binary package. Maybe I should upgrade to Salome 7.2. But then I don't have Code-Aster integrated.

Which leads me to my next question: Does anyone know how soon Code-Aster will be integrated into the new Salome 7.2?

Thanks,

Dirk

Posted by françois beaubert at June 24. 2013

Hi all,

Like Susan I'm struggling to understand how to make hexablock work.

I've tried to use the GUi with 7.2 version but I'm  unable to make a simple cylinder mesh

nor use the provided python scripts.

Do you know where to find a step by step guide to using hexablock to hex mesh a cylinder for example ?

Thanks.

François

Posted by Kloss Francis at July 04. 2013

Dear All,

Sorry, there are some regressions on SALOME 7.2 version about HEXABLOCK module.

The corrections will be done on 7.3 version with some news functionalities.

The contents of HEXABLOCK in SALOME 7.2 is the same as 6.6 version:

for an evaluation of HEXABLOCK the better is using it on SALOME 6.6.

To help you to understand the general principle, I give some documents that build step by step some hexahedral meshes.

Cordially,

Francis Kloss

P.S.please, wait a few for the upload

Posted by françois beaubert at July 11. 2013

it's very nice from you Francis !

I will look at your examples

Regards

François

Posted by françois beaubert at July 11. 2013

Whaooo ...

Francis,  the work you have done  is awesome !

A must have in the hexaBlock documentation

Thank you very very much !

Cheers

François 

Posted by Susan Tully at July 16. 2013

This is great, thank you very much Francis Kloss!

Posted by Bernhard Linseisen at July 10. 2014

Dear Francis,

I had a look at your astonishing tutorials. I am certain they are highly valuable!

Unfortunately particularly the cylinder-construction does not work that way anymore in version 7.4. and somehow I do not even manage to understand what the entries are supposed to be in the menu for creating a cylinder. I assume that your tutorials basically use the "custom" cylinder construction.

But for example if I try to do the "bielle"-example and try to enter the values:

origin - "centre_pb"

axis - "vector_px"

base - "vector_z"

radius - one entry "1"

angle - three entries "360"

height - one entry "1"

(There is no button "fill")

The output message states an error with the following characteristics:

"Cannot make cylinder

**** Argument number 6 :

**** Vector is not growing

**** (value[1] = 360 <= value[0] = 360

I know that is asking a lot, but is it possible to redo ONE of the examples for the latest version 7.4 of Salome? (If it doesn't exist already...)

Thank you for any comment already in advance!

Best Regards,

Bernhard

Posted by saravanan at December 21. 2017

Posted by saravanan at December 21. 2017