Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Re: Topology error when using Projection_1D2D

Re: Topology error when using Projection_1D2D

Up to Use

Posted by Bailey C at August 28. 2018

Hi there,

I'm working on a script to automate meshing of composite RVEs with cuboid unit cells for homogenization. When using Projection_1D2D to generate matching sides on the mesh for periodic boundary conditions, I receive the error "Topology of source and target faces seems different" for 2 (X and Y) out of the 3 side pairs. The Z side pair projects correctly, for some reason. This script has worked successfully before on a unit cell with only one face per side. However, I have had no success when the side is composed of multiple faces (which is the case most of the time). The unit cell has symmetry on all three axes, and I haven't been able to find anything obvious that might cause the issue. The script, HDF file, and source STEP file are located here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/thmr9ip8phcwc5p/bcc_lattice.zip?dl=0

Any help would be appreciated.

Bailey C

Posted by Saint Michael at August 29. 2018

Hi Bailey

On some arcs there are excess vertices that make opposite faces topologically different.

St.Michael

Posted by Bailey C at August 30. 2018

I see what you mean. Is there a quick and easy fix for this? I suspect not. I'm currently trying to modify my script to use DivideEdgeByPoint to project any vertices that don't have a match on the opposite side, but this is quite a headache.

Bailey C

Posted by Bailey C at August 30. 2018

My changes with DivideEdgeByPoint resolved the issue with Projection_1D2D. Thanks for the hint.

Bailey C